The Lord Paramount of Thyllanor is a title that represents the head of state in the similarly-named Lord Paramouncy of Thyllanor. Based on the Lord Paramouncy system established by Draegon I Dragomyr upon the successful completion of the Dragomyr invasion of Andoras, a Lord Paramount is analogous to a king or emperor despite not being acknowledged as such.
All 16 Lord Paramounts up until the present day have been members of House Karthmere, and indeed this family's pedigree stretches back for thousands of years, with their influence as the Karth'maeres (meaning 'leaders of the Karth', from which they derive their surname) leading to a revolution in expansionism that founded one of the first empire-sized states in the First Era; the Thyllanorian kingdom, which roughly encompassed all of the land in Andoras traditionally recognized as being colonized by Edrossians, such as Thyllanor itself, the Kingsland, and Thunder's Shore. This prestige has carried with the name for quite some time, but it has also garnered with it a good amount of contempt, as they make many enemies with their aggressive policies.
Law established by the Upper Chamber of Lords, however, dictates that it need not be a Karthmere on the throne for all of the powers granted to a Lord Paramount to be valid. While the Thyllanorian government, teeming with bureaucracy has crept its way into almost all operations conducted by the Paramouncy itself, the Lord Paramount still has final say, and this is decreed by natural law of the land -- not bloodright, as the kingdoms of yore were previously founded on. A reaction to this law, despite not being officially in existence at the time, was the War of the Lions in the 140s AC. Daemis III Karthmere, viewed as one of the first Karthmeres with the desire to restore Thyllanor to its former glory in the modern era, wished to make a Thyllanorian state that was entirely Thyllanorian culturally, and in reaction, House Asmere garnered its Alettonic forces and not only fought a defensive war to keep their heritage intact, but also sought to depose the Karthmeres and seat themselves on the throne. This war was one of the reasons that Malveus II Karthmere, a later Paramount from the mid-200s AC, decided to establish several bureaucracies in the underlying government to ensure the country would run more smoothly and efficiently.
As such, a Thyllanorian Lord Paramount might not have as much supreme autocracy as his peers in the other nations, but he's advised by some of the best minds he can find, and the country still remains intact when he is unable to take up the reins of rule himself for whatever reason. In a way, Thyllanor is quite lucky to have Paramounts who openly accept the authority of the government under them -- if they did not, they would likely start a faction war that would escalate into conflict and destroy the very structure of the country from the inside. Others are likely to see their decentralization as a weakness or an oddity, as it delves into governmental liberty not seen anywhere else on Andoras, and this already makes things difficult if they attempt to integrate those used to traditional feudalism. Perhaps this can be used to an opponent's advantage...
List of Lord Paramounts
The first set of dates are their years of birth and death, while the second are their reigning years.
- Daemis I Karthmere (56 BC - 3 AC) (formerly Daemis III when ruling the Kingdom of Thyllanor): 2 AC - 3 AC
- Vicede I Karthmere (39 BC - 21 AC): 3 AC - 21 AC
- Malveus I Karthmere (22 BC - 46 AC): 21 AC - 46 AC
- Tyralt Karthmere (9 - 58 AC) (first Paramount born under Dragomyr rule): 46 AC - 58 AC
- Richard I Karthmere (26 - 77 AC): 58 AC - 77 AC
- Daemis II Karthmere (54 - 108 AC): 77 AC - 108 AC
- Richard II Karthmere (81- 129 AC): 108 - 129 AC
- Daemis III Karthmere (109 - 156 AC): 129 - 156 AC
- Nobilis Karthmere (131 - 159 AC): 156 - 159 AC
- Richard III Karthmere (156 - 218 AC): 159 - 218 AC
- Richard IV Karthmere (178 - 231 AC): 218 - 231 AC
- Malveus II Karthmere (211 - 272 AC): 231 - 272 AC
- Vicede II Karthmere (239 -291 AC): 272 - 291 AC
- Malveus III Karthmere (262 - 309 AC): 291 - 309 AC
- Dalan I Karthmere (288 - 330 AC): 309 - 330 AC
- Interregnum (330 - 332 AC) (During this time, rule was accomplished through the Upper Chamber of Lords)
- Dalan II Karthmere (326 AC - living): 332 AC - present (incumbent)